Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez made it clear final 12 months that he needs to unify the 5 main belts of the super-middleweight division, and that he didn’t plan on taking an eternity to take action.
Since defeating Callum Smith in December to formally start his try at a whole 168lbs takeover, he simply defended these belts in opposition to Avni Yildirim in February after which added Billy Joe Saunders’ WBO title to the pile this previous weekend in Arlington, Texas.
Whereas that is undoubtedly the most popular run of Canelo’s skilled profession to this point, he’s no stranger to world title wins.
Here is a rundown of his resume as a world championship boxer.
What number of world titles has Canelo received?
The WBO super-middle belt he acquired on Saturday was the fifteenth world boxing championship of 30-year-old Alvarez’s profession to this point.
What number of weight divisions has Canelo been a champion?
Along with super-middleweight, the place Alvarez at present guidelines the roost, he has additionally been a recognised world champion at middleweight, light-middleweight/super-welterweight and light-heavyweight.
What number of world titles does Canelo personal proper now?
After the win over Saunders, Alvarez is at present the WBA, WBC, WBO and The Ring super-middleweight champion. He has three of the 4 ‘alphabet’ world titles, in addition to The Ring journal’s distinction of being the ‘lineal’ champion within the division (which, wherever it might probably, follows the ethos of “to be the champion it’s essential to beat the champion”).
Whether or not you select to recognise The Ring belt as being on equal footing to the 4 main sanctioning our bodies’ world titles or not, just one championship within the division doesn’t at present belong to Canelo: the IBF title held by unbeaten American Caleb Plant.
Record of Canelo’s world title wins
- beat Matthew Hatton on Mar. 5, 2011 to win vacant WBC light-middleweight title
- beat Austin Trout on Apr. 20, 2013 for Trout’s WBA light-middleweight title
- additionally received the vacant The Ring light-middleweight title within the above win over Trout
- beat Miguel Cotto on Nov. 21, 2015 for Cotto’s The Ring middleweight title
- additionally received the vacant WBC middleweight title within the above win over Cotto
- beat Liam Smith on Sept. 17, 2016 for Smith’s WBO light-middleweight title
- beat Gennadiy Golovkin on Sept. 15, 2018 for Golovkin’s WBA middleweight title
- additionally regained Golovkin’s WBC middleweight title within the above contest
- additionally regained the vacant The Ring middleweight title within the above contest
- beat Rocky Fielding on Dec. 15, 2018 for Fielding’s ‘common’ WBA super-middleweight title
- beat Daniel Jacobs on Could 4, 2019 for Jacobs’ IBF middleweight title
- beat Sergey Kovalev on Nov. 2, 2019 for Kovalev’s WBO light-heavyweight title
- beat Callum Smith on Dec. 19, 2020 for Smith’s The Ring super-middleweight title*
- additionally received the vacant WBC super-middleweight title within the above win over Smith
- beat Billy Joe Saunders on Could 8, 2021 for Saunders’ WBO super-middleweight title
*Canelo, as ‘common’ WBA super-middleweight champion, defeated reigning ‘tremendous’ WBA champion Smith and the sanctioning physique selected to recognise Alvarez as their unified champion versus denoting a separate title win
What number of world titles has Canelo misplaced?
Alvarez has famously misplaced only one struggle in his 59-bout profession to this point (56 wins, two attracts). That got here to the 50-0 Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September 2013, a loss which noticed Mayweather take Canelo’s WBC and The Ring light-middleweight titles. In consequence, these two titles are the one two out of 15 a boxer has managed to beat Alvarez for. The opposite 13 titles have been both stripped/vacated, or are at present nonetheless owned by Canelo.